Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 2 August 2013

A Walk from Highland Beach to Delray Beach (2.5 miles)

After a leisurely breakfast I crawled back in bed and slept for another 3 hours. My body was still in major recovery mode and needed another day off the bike. Upon waking I decided to start walking toward the Delray Plaza Shopping Center. I chose to walk here because the plaza had 3 of my favourite things - a chiropractic office, a bicycle shop and a coffee shop.

On my way I stopped at two other chiropractic offices. The doors were locked on the first one. I visited briefly with the receptionist of the second office, but I was warmly welcomed when I arrived at the chiropractic clinic located at the Delray Plaza Shopping Center.


Dr. Matthew Supran, Chiropractor. He arranged for me to have a massage with Margaret who works at his clinic. I noticed an Eastern European accent in Margaret and she confirmed that Poland was her birthplace. Before immigrating to the US, Margaret's training in Poland included a dual program in Physical Therapy and Massage Therapy. Her deep tissue work to my quads, hamstring and calves was definitely needed based upon the number of sore spots that she worked out (thanks Margaret!). After the massage, Dr. Supran, a Palmer West College of Chiropractic grad, gave me great adjustments that helped counter the cycling posture I've subjected my body to on the tour. Thanks Matthew!

Information about Dr. Supran's office can be found at www.drsupran.com


The Bicycle Lab was 2 doors down from Dr. Supran's office. I purchased some energy and recovery bars, which I hope will help me out during a big mileage day.

I had an affinity to the name of the coffee shop, because Dad had nicknamed my youngest sister Sarah, Gizzie when she was little. The nickname stuck and Sarah answers to Gizzie quite often.


Gizzi, of Gizzi's Coffee. He made me a fresh iced tea and a turkey-tomatoe-provolone grilled panini. His coffee shop was comfortable and inviting. I was telling Gizzi about my bicycle tour when a customer came in and joined our conversation. Jan explained that she and her husband were planning on cycling the Keys. She went on to explain that Florida has been adding bicycle lanes and there's areas to stop and view wildlife.

From Gizzi's I backtracked walking toward The Plaza at Delray. I ate dinner at SushiMasa and Thai Cuisine. Looking at the menu, I noticed they had added a proverb, "Life isn't as easy as it seems, but it's not as difficult as we think. Enjoy life." Nice. I enjoyed spicy salmon rolls and a chicken teriyaki dinner with a hot green tea.



I asked the waitress if she could call me a cab because the sky had darkened, rain started splatting and thunder rumbled in the distance - all remnants of Tropical Storm Dorian. After being on hold for several minutes, it was decided that Matt the young delivery guy for the SushiMasa would drive me back to the hotel. Matt took a long drag on one of those electronic cigarettes. I watched vapour escape the fake cigarette and his mouth as if he had just dragged hard on a real one.

"Is that one of those cigarette substitutes?"
"Yeah."
"Is it working for you?"
"I just started using it today and I haven't smoked or even wanted to smoke yet."
"Great man, I hope you don't."
"I only started smoking about three months ago and I want to get off them. I already notice how bad they smell now that I've been using this. I don't want to keep smoking and see my health ruined."

I asked him if he was in school. Matt told me that he's hoping to obtain his scuba license and gain work teaching scuba and taking people out on scuba tours... Another good reason to not be smoking. I mentioned to Matt that if he got his welding ticket and extra training he could get some pretty high paying work as an underwater welder.

Thanks again for the ride Matt... and stay away from those damn cigarettes.

2 comments:

  1. Pat, cheers from Mary and me. We just came back from a week in a cottage with Joe & family + Sue & family. Lots of fun and nice weather. You are on the road already almost 2 months. Way to go! I will be back to Bogota on August 8 for anther three months before coming back in early November. Mary will make another short visit around her birthday and our anniversary in September. Before that she will go to Vancouver with Hilary and Mark in late August for a week visiting old friends Val and Kim. Good luck in that heat. Your blog posts are always interesting to read. Cheers, Jos

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will always and forever respond to being called gizzie, giz and gizzard ;)

    ReplyDelete