Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Saturday 10 August 2013

August the 8th - Happy 100 mile - 51st Birthday - Key Largo to Key West (162 km)


There were very few church signs in Florida compared to the Bible-Belt states that I had cycled through, but this one I came across the morning I left Key Largo. "Most people prefer to serve God as an advisor," was the message at the  Coral Isles United Church of Christ in Tavernier.


Some of the Keys route had dedicated paths for bicycles and pedestrians - bicycle heaven!


This section of bike path was on the way into the town of Marathon. The path was beautiful however the foliage cut down the breeze and made the temperature rise drenching me in my own sweat.


This photo was taken by Brad White who was manning a kiosk to raise funds for Friends of Old Seven Mile Bridge. I was thankful when Brad informed me that the bridge was out a couple miles ahead. "I just saved you 4 miles of pedalling,"he said. As we were visiting 3 other bicycle tourists cycled past from the bridge. Later on along the Highway at a stop for fluids, I visited with those cyclists who had unknowingly travelled that extra 4 miles.

Friends of Old Seven Mile Bridge are trying to raise money to preserve the once rail bridge. Apparently the Florida Department of Transportation may be closing the bridge to everyone permanently. I bought a cool looking t-shirt from Brad who was also selling hats and bumper stickers, the proceeds of which go toward preservation efforts.

You can learn more about this historic, beautiful bridge at https://friendsofoldseven.org



The 'new' Seven Mile Bridge had a five foot shoulder to ride on.


Section of the Old Seven Mile Bridge that was destroyed by a hurricane.


I've taken photos of a lot of church signs all along my route. There were very few Roman Catholic Churches with signs that had messages of any meaning beyond the times of Mass, times of Confessions, or "Bingo Every 7:30 pm Tuesday Night." St. Peter Catholic Church in Big Pine Key, Florida was the exception though with its sign stating, "IF we live to do God's will, we must always be ready to answer His call."

I only had 20 miles of cycling left, but was in desperate need of relief from the heat. When I came across this place:


Mangrove Mama's was in Sugarloaf Key and the hot and sour pork cup-of-soup, slice of Key Lime Pie and copious amounts of iced tea helped to reinvigorate me for the last stretch into Key West.


I couldn't help but notice this funky tole painted chair at my table with the message, "Nothing stays the same." There's a lot of truth to that message. Perhaps we could call that a 'wisdom seat.'


I definitely had to have a photo next to mile marker number 4, given my previous blog posts about "4:44".


In Key West I stopped at a gas station's variety store to use the washroom and buy some more fluids. When I came out there was a guy with his tool belt and mountain bike next to my bike. Eric had just gotten off work and we struck up a conversation about my trip. When I told him about my wanting to visit mile marker zero, he said, "Follow me, I'll take you right there and show you some other sights along the way." He said goodbye to his girlfriend and we were off.

Really! I couldn't believe this guys kindness.


I thought that it was pretty cool to see Ernest Hemingway's home... something poetic about his home being here given that Key West is the end point of my bicycle tour and I will be heading on to Texas to work with the publisher to finalize and publish the memoir of my 1986 bicycle tour.

I followed Eric through the Key West streets that he knew so well. We weaved in and out of traffic, scarcely slowing for lights and stop signs until he pulled up in front of an area with numerous bars and shops. "Pat, I'll hold your bike. Go up to that tree and read the small plaque." The tree in question was huge. I walked up to see the small brass plaque nailed into the trunk at eye level. The plaque read, "Ernest Hemingway pissed here." The plaque perfectly reflected the festival-like aura of Key West.


Mile marker zero.


Eric and I arrived at this popular marker - the Southernmost Point Marker. There was a crowd of at least 30 people standing in line waiting to have their photo taken next to the marker. Eric took over standing on the stone wall at road side and announced to the crowd, "Hey everybody, can I have you attention. This guy with the bike is Pat, he just got here after cycling all of the way from Canada." Everyone started to applaud and congratulate me. Eric continued, "do you mind if we butt in line for a quick photo." No one minded.

The marker states that Cuba is 90 miles south. In fact Cuba is 98 miles south. The marker also refers to Key West as the furthest point south in the continental USA, but in fact, because Key West is on an island, it is technically not even part of the continental USA. No matter, the marker was yet another fitting way to end the tour.


Eric and I at Duval House. Eric I can't thank you enough for your kindness.

3 comments:

  1. Well done, Pat. Good luck in Texas.

    Cheers, Jos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Pat...It was as a pleasure to meet you here in Key West. I am glad to hear your trip and ended successfully and safely and that I was able to be a small part of it. You are an amazing man with an amazing story.. We welcome you back to the island with open arms anytime..

    Best wishes,
    Southernmost Eric...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pat-
    I am so glad your trip was all you hoped and more... That you found a small measure of the peace and beauty we all come to the Keys for. Your trip was a personal inspiration for both Eric and myself, and it was wonderful to meet you on your birthday and share a moment of the day with you. On a selfish note, I am beyond happy for you that you had the opportunity to meet (who I am biased to think is the most charismatic and amazing man on the island) and have him show you around his home. Cheers and Blessings to you.

    Southernmost Eric's Girlfriend Jamie

    ReplyDelete