Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Sunday 4 August 2013

Highland Beach to Miami Beach 51.8 miles (83.4 km)



The draw bridge was up to let boats pass through the inlet to Lake Boca Raton along Highway A1A (South Ocean Blvd).

If you've followed this blog, you recall me writing about Chuck, the guy I met at First Landing State Park in Virginia Beach, Virginia.

Chuck had given me a cigar to carry with me and to stop and smoke at the Hollywood Beach Bandstand, Hollywood Beach, Florida... 




Here's the slightly squished Black and Mild Cigar that I've carried in my front handle bar pack since Virginia Beach...


I pulled up to the bandstand at Hollywood Beach and asked the family next to me to take my photo. Matt, his wife (I did not get her name) and their 4 young kids live in the area. Matt owns a cleaning company that he started about ten years ago. Pretty gutsy starting a business and keeping it successful through the recession that the US has been through. I told Matt a bit about my bike tour. His wife snapped a few shots of me at the bandstand.


Chuck, thank you. I hadn't smoked a cigar since being on the fishing trip at the end of May with my Dad and brothers. Cigar smoking and bicycling are somewhat mutually exclusive, but that squished Black and Mild had a great taste.

By the way, the Black and Mild Cigar that Chuck gave me is not the cigar that I've been carrying for the entire trip. In my front handle bar bag is the cigar, wrapped in a cedar shaving and inside a metal tube. I'm saving that cigar for the beach on Key West.


Just a bit south along the Hollywood beach Boardwalk I spotted the Yogurt-Ur-Way-Cafe. It was time for lunch and time to get out of the hot sun. I had a great healthy smoothie and a tasty chicken spinach wrap. Above is a photo of Barry. Barry's daughter Jamie and her husband Art Metrano are the owners of the cafe. Barry asked me about my trip and then invited me to "take a rest."

After I had eaten, Barry came over to see how I was doing - nice man. I handed him one of my cards so that he could look into the blog. As it turns out Barry's son-in-law Art Metrano is an actor. He was in the Police Academy 2 comedy movie which starred Steve Guttenberg, Bubba Smith, David Graf and Michel Winslow. Art Metrano played Captain Mauser in the film. 


Photograph, with my reflection in the glass, of the uniform that Art wore in the comedy movie Police Academy 2.

Barry handed me a photo of Art. I studied Art's face, recognized him and realized that he's been in a number of films both big screen and television.


Highway A1A into Miami Beach was busy. Sometimes there was a bike lane and other times there was none, but there were several signs permitting bikes to use the entire lane... This didn't stop most cars from passing within inches of me. I was glad to get off the road after 51+ miles.

No comments:

Post a Comment