Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Sunday 11 August 2013

On to Dallas, Texas - Bicycle Boxed and On Board with American Airlines


The Key West Express high speed passenger ferry that took me from Key West to Fort Myers Beach on August 9, 2013. The crossing is about 3 1/2 hours.




Sunset on the Gulf of Mexico from the Key West Express.

Yesterday (August 10) I flew from Fort Myers to Dallas Fort Worth where I'll spend several days working with Dr. Elizabeth Pilicy of International Health Publishing in an effort to complete and publish the manuscript of my memoir regarding the 1986 bicycle tour from Ontario to Florida.

My 2013 Bicycle Tour from Canada to Florida is over. I was blessed in so many ways throughout the journey and I am so grateful to the kind people that I met along the way.

2 comments:

  1. Glad you made it! We met in Stuart with my kids at the beach restaurant. I do the MS 150 rides. Any issues shipping the bike?

    Mike

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Mike,
    No issues getting a box for the bike at the Fort Myers airport. I attempted to fly out of the Key West airport, but they did not have any bike boxes, so that led me to take the Key West Express ferry to Fort Myers. If you are ever putting your bike on a plane make sure that you have tools with you. It is also a good idea to have a bike shop loosen the pedals so that you can more easily unscrew them when you are ready to put the bike in the box. Enjoy your MS 150 rides. Good to meet you!
    Best wishes,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete