Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 21 June 2013

Chiropractic Continuing Education, Friday and Saturday

As many of you know, I have been working to reinvent myself as a chiropractor in the aftermath of the severe injury that I sustained to my left shoulder and chest.

I purposely routed my bicycle tour through Newark, New Jersey so that I could take the Torque Release Technique (TRT) class being taught by Dr. Jay Holder. For me TRT is a radical departure from my previous style of adjusting patients but is equally, if not more effective, all the while being less physically demanding to me.


Dr. Jay Holder and I at the end of the Friday session. The device that Dr. Holder has pointing at me is the 'Integrator' a device that delivers an impulse with recoil and torque at 1/10,000 of a second.

You can learn more about the Integrator at www.torquerelease.com/integrator.php

Dr. Holder's teaching style is relaxed and interactive. He is a pretty interesting guy. You can learn more about Dr. Holder at www.torquerelease.com/about.php

To any of my chiropractic colleagues reading this blog - I highly recommend that you take a Torque Release Technique seminar. This technique can be used solely in a practice or added as an adjunct to your practice. It is a highly researched technique (science) that reinforces traditional chiropractic philosophy.

5 comments:

  1. Re: Garfield, 40 yr old male suicide, I googled it but basically thats's it, who knows maybe mentally "off the tracks".

    I was a cop for 30 years and I've long since given up trying to decipher why people do what they do.

    Is that Giant of yours the more expensive version of the TCX ? I see one is about 1K and the other is 2+K ? I'm getting ready to turn in my Huffy 10 speed and need to get a serious bike.....good luck with your shoulder treatments - I have on again off again L5-S2 problems, theres been many times when I couldn't walk but I could still ride my bike 60+ miles. I used to use it like a "walker" and then mount it and ...."gone"

    ........take care.........Eoin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eoin,

    Thanks for following the blog of my bicycle tour!

    Wow, a cop for 30 years... I'm sure that you've seen a lot. This can be a tough world, but there is a profound sadness in contemplating the desperation and finality of a 40-year-old committing suicide by stepping into a train.

    Regarding my bike... I bought the Giant TCX last spring in preparation for a couple of charity rides. As you probably know the TCX is not a touring bike, but rather a cyclocross bike. Mine is the version that in Canada retailed for just over $1K. I purchased the bike at Bicycle's Plus in Bedford, Nova Scotia as a "last year's model" and paid $850 +tax. Aside from the price, this was basically the most comfortable bike that I've ever ridden.

    Here's the downside of using the Giant TCX as a touring bike:

    1. Most touring bikes have a higher spoke count, especially on the rear wheel to take the extra weight of loaded panniers. I've already had a broken spoke after hitting a pothole along the Erie Canal Trail and once a spoke breaks, the wheel is never quite the same. I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I don't start breaking more spokes. If I do break more spokes you can bet I'll be at a bike shop and replace the wheel with a higher spoke count one.

    2. There's only 2 chain rings in the front, i.e. no mountain gears, which would have meant less walking up some of those steep, long PA hills! When I bicycle toured to Florida in 1986, I was on a Norco, Monterey SL 12 speed which is also not a touring bike. I was a lot younger and fitter then and rarely had to walk my bike, even up the steepest of climbs.

    3. There's no way to mount a front rack and panniers. This is not much of an issue for me because I don't like riding with front panniers - perhaps necessitating my efficiency in traveling with less that Z had commented on. Basically I've got everything I need with me. Perhaps people would like a blog entry regarding what I am travelling with...

    4. The TCX has a centre cable that drops straight down in front of the frames head tube. This coupled with the configuration of cables jutting inward from the brake/shifters makes finding the correct handlebar bag a challenge. I actually changed my handle bar bag in Ithaca, NY to one that fits without pressuring the cables.

    Regardless of those above issues, my Giant TCX is the perfect bike for me and this trip.

    Best wishes,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the wealth of info.......I like a bike you can use off road as well as on....for years Ive been riding a 1970's Huffy 10 speed, Ive done a century on it and also the NY city 5 Boro Bicycle ride (about 68 miles through the city and over most of the bridges) I went over the tri-Borough Bridge in Sept and it was 96 degrees, I was young then (68). I love the Huffy but it weighs too much.

    I live in upstate NY in the summer and Jekyll Island GA in the winter.....are U going through Savannah (RT 17) ? Most Florida bound bikers go 17 south all the way into Florida......met a couple last winter enroute to Miami from Atlantic city NJ

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patrick, Do you remember when we were both much younger, I was coming home from my golf game and right in front of the Psych hospital, in St. Thomas, Ontario, a bear footed man ran right in front of a huge "dump truck" and of course I was a witness to it all - we did not have cell phones in those days but I did pull into the nurses residence across the road and phoned the OPP. They put me in the back of the squad car, windows up, no air and I thought I would suffocate! The OPP questioned me at length as I was the only witness, other than the driver of the truck. As I made my way back to Mandeville Road, and happy to be home, you were there to console me. I was very sick to my stomach because of what I witnessed and also the heat! Thank goodness you were home as with your good bedside manners I pulled through but I will never forget seeing that man tossed through the air like a rag doll! Somethings one never forgets.
    Love you Pat,
    MOM

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing this wonderful post! It was a pleasure reading it...

    ReplyDelete