Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 18 June 2013

June 17, 2013 Binghamton, NY to Lake Como, Pennsylvania


At 7:00 am I left Binghamton, NY riding south along Hwy 11.


Roadside flowers, eking out an existence in the gravelly dirt. Seeing flowers is one of the pleasures that I truly appreciate when travelling by bicycle versus automobile.


There is always a sense of accomplishment when traveling by bicycle as I leaving one state and enter another.


From Hwy 11 I turned onto PA State Road 171, along the Susquehanna River and came across this monument to Joseph Smith, founder and first prophet of The Church of Jesus Christ of the Latter-Day Saints. Smith lived in a cottage in the area and shared that he had received heavenly revelations. In 1829 Smith and scribe, Oliver Cowdery claim to have been visited by John the Baptist during prayerful meditation at a secluded spot along the river.


The McKune Cemetary is roadside and directly next to the land that the Joseph Smith monument is on. The headstone surrounded by the American flags is inscribed, " In Memory of Our Departed Comrades of all Wars."


On the bridge crossing the Susquehanna River. I enjoyed a late morning second breakfast at the Main Street Cafe in the town of Ssquehanna. Two eggs, rye toast and all the iced tea I could drink for $2.50, all served with a smile!

I was just about to leave when two elderly gentlemen entered to have a meal at the Main Street Cafe. One sat a couple stools away from my seat at the counter and the other walked  toward me.
"Where you from and where you going?"
I explained that my brother lived about 30 miles away and that after a visit at his place, I would continue my trip with the destination goal of Florida.
"What's your name?"
"Pat, Pat Milroy." I held out my hand.
Before shaking my hand he pointed to the large shamrock on his bright, well worn kelly-green t-shirt that hung on his gaunt, slightly hunched torso.
"I'm Irish," he said with a grin. "You must be Irish too with that name. I'm Bruce Moorehead."
Bruce reached for the catholic scapular and chain with several medals that hung around his neck beneath the t-shirt. He named each medal and told me the protection the saint embossed on the medal afforded him. Then he explained that he had met Mother Theresa while she was in Brooklyn during the 80's.
"I was there doing charity work and I even drove her around. Are you catholic Pat?"
"I was raised catholic."
"You need to go back to the catholic church."
I studied his wrinkled grinning face and again he repeated, "Go back to the catholic church Pat. You go back to the church."
"Nice to have met you Bruce, I'm going back to my bike ride." We shook hands and I walked out of the Main Street Cafe.


The Starucca Viaduct along PA Route 1009 in Lanesboro. Completed in 1848 for the Erie railroad, this stone viaduct is still in use.



The First Baptist Church, along my route. The sign says, "Win the Lottery, Be Happy for a Year. Help Someone, Be Happy for a Lifetime." Hmmm, how about winning the lottery and helping someone? If there had been a variety store next to this church, I would have stopped by to buy a lottery ticket.


The look from these two cows was unmistakable and I knew exactly what they were thinking about me... Take a look at this guy. He's stopping to take our picture, but its really just an excuse to stop riding up that hill. Mmmm, the grass is greener on our side of the fence.

In fact, I was completely exhausted from the long, steep hills. I would start riding up and then have to walk-push the bike along until my leg muscles needed a break from walking-pushing and so I would alternate cycling with walking until I crested those big hills. When I couldn't cycle or walk I would stop and chug water until I had recovered.


The Orson United Methodist Church with the sign message, "May the Lord Bless and Keep You."


A startled doe ran across the road in front of me as I coasted my bike down the last section of dirt road. My day of cycling ended at 5:00 pm when I arrived at the home of my brother Mark and his wife Kelly. Their home, in northern Wayne County, which is part of the Endless Mountain Region, is only accessible by traveling down dirt roads.

My 3 year old nephew was pretty excited to show me his bike.
"Uncle Pat, this is my bike, it's a gravel blaster, because when you ride it - it blasts gravel!"


Last year, my brother Mark and his wife Kelly McMaster opened Moody Road Studio, 1023 Main St., Honesdale, Pennsylvania. The shop carries classic and newly released books hand picked by Mark and Kelly, on a variety of topics.

I spotted Kelly's book on the shelf, Welcome to Shirley: A Memoir from an Atomic Town, which was published in 2008. I recalled the stirring rendition of her coming of age in small town Shirley, Long Island with the back drop of a leaking nuclear laboratory. The book was recommended reading in the May 2008 "Reading Room" section of O: The Oprah Magazine. I couldn't help think that the book needs to be displayed with more prominence in their shop, but in its unpretentious location amongst other books is the reflection of their down-to-earth lifestyles. More about Kelly can be found at www.kellymcmasters.com


Moody Road Studio prints are predominantly woodcuts by my brother, the artist, Mark Milroy. His woodcuts can be viewed at www.moodyroadstudios.com

Marks main medium is oil paintings and can seen at www.markmilroy.com


Mark and Kelly at Moody Road Studios, Honesdale, PA

1 comment:

  1. Hi, Pat

    Okay, last one before getting back to work. I think I met Mark once or twice when we were at UWO. I still remember reference to some nick-name that he absolutely hated, but I don't remember what it was.

    Great photos of his family. Hope you enjoyed the visit.

    ReplyDelete