Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 25 June 2013

Morning ride to Village Bicycle in Tuckerton, NJ 13.3 km (8.3 miles)


The sign at Cedar Creek Assembly of God has the reminder, "Make God Your First Priority, Not Your Last Resort."

After the 13+ km ride from Manahawkin, I pulled my bike up to Village Bicycles where Marsha who owns the shop with her husband was just opening up.


Village Bicycles, 122 East Main Street, Tuckerton, NJ. Enjoy the following photos that I took of their antique bicycles:






While my rear wheel was being worked on, I had a great 'second' breakfast of a tasty western sandwich on rye with iced tea at the Dynasty Diner, across the street from Village Bicycles.

The heat of the day was full force when I got back on the bike after the repairs. I continued south on Hwy 9 and stopped to photograph this church sign:


St. Paul's United Methodist Church sign welcomes "scouts, campers, travellers, everyone of all faiths," stating that you can "Come As You Are" and in small print reminding that "God looks on the heart not the outward appearance."

Marsha of Village Bicycles had called her husband and obtained instructions for me to bypass a section of Hwy 9 that joins the Garden State Parkway and is off limits to bicyclists. I followed Route 542 west to Route 563 which took me into Egg Harbor, NJ (22 miles, 35 km). Along the way I photographed some beautiful vegetation:


I passed lots of roadside Tiger Lilies, one of my favourite flowers.


This grass was taller than me! I did a bit of researching and I think it is a species known as Common Reed (Phragmites australis). If this is the the Common Reed, it is an aggressive plant and outcompetes other native plants, decreasing diversity. Phragmites have underground runners which spread and grow shoots. This plant is so abundant in some areas that it is a fuel for grassland fires that can happen in the area.

I'm sitting in a McD's in Egg Harbor, NJ along Hwy 30 taking a break from the heat (33 C, 91.4 F) and enjoying an unsweetened iced tea and the free wifi.


1 comment:

  1. Great photos, Pat. I like the message on the Methodist sign - "come as you are." A welcoming message for sure, not to mention a value/guiding principle we should all aspire to.

    Robb

    ReplyDelete