Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Monday 24 June 2013

Sea Girt, NJ to Manahawkin, NJ 71.2 km (44 miles)


Along Route 35 there was still evidence of the massive power that Hurricane Sandy packed. Some properties looked completely unscathed, some under repair and others were still in ruins.


More Hurricane Sandy destruction. It's hard to imagine the disruption that the storm caused so many people, but all these months later these photos are pretty indicative.


Three houses in a row crunched together by the wind and water of Hurricane Sandy. This hurricane took place in the latter days of October 2012, packed winds of 115 mph (185 km per hour). Damage estimates in the US are upwards of $65 billion. Sandy was a Category 3 hurricane when it hit Cuba and weakened to a Category 1 hurricane as it hit the US. At Category 1 Sandy was unique because of the massive size.


 "The Fruit of the Spirit is Love" is on the sign for the St. Stephen's Episcopal Church, Waretown, New Jersey.

I started riding at 6:00 am and by the time I stopped, the temperature was a scorching 33 degrees Celsius (91.4 F).

I probably would have made better headway had it not been for a flat tire which I repaired outside of a Wawa Gas Station and Store at Lanoka Harbor, NJ. A couple guys stopped by to visit.

Lenny, in his 70's pulled up in his big blue Ford F350 pick-up truck and said he'd like to go with me. He went into the store and came out with an Iced Coffee which tasted pretty great.

I don't remember the name of the other guy, but he was a Jersey Italian and fellow cyclist who admired the form of travel and was planning his own trek. He was even willing to bring me to his home to use his tools and repair the wheel, but I had it back on the bike. We visited a while and then he handed me $10 and gave me a hug. "Make sure you think kindly of us loud American's."

Both guys told me of the shop down Lacey Road off Hwy 9, but it was closed when I rode to it. My rear tire is almost worn bald and I need to find a bike shop soon.


2 comments:

  1. Nice posts, Pat, and beautiful photos. Good luck and watch out for those high temperatures! Cheers from Bogota, Jos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jos! Great to know that you are following my blog. Hope that all is well in Bogota. Best wishes, Pat

    ReplyDelete