Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 28 June 2013

Rehoboth Beach, Delaware to Berlin, Maryland 55 km (34.3 miles)


The morning of June 27, 2013 along Route 1 South which passes through the Delaware Seashore State Park. Straight and very flat...




Bridge over the Indian River Inlet which gives access to Rehoboth Bay.




This advertisement was for the Delaware Army National Guard, Bethany Beach, Delaware. Take a close look at the center top of the helicopter where the props attach: eagles have built a nest.




In this photo my bike is posed in front of the Fenwick Island Lighthouse and Transpeninsular Line Stone Monument which was placed there April 26, 1751 to mark the eastern end of the surveyed line demarcating the east-west boundary of Pennsylvania's lower three counties (now Delaware) and the Colony of Maryland. Carved in to the stone is the coat of arms for the Calverts on the south side and the Penns on the north side.




The 75 feet high Fenwick Island Lighthouse, constructed in 1858 for $23,748.96... I would think it a bargain for keeping ships from running aground.




Along the Coastal Highway in Ocean City, Maryland, the St. Peter's Lutheran Church sign tells us that "Jesus has the heart of a healer." Good thing, this world and everyone in it need healing.




This innovative sign is in front of the St. Luke's Catholic Church along the Coastal Highway in Ocean City, Maryland just a few pedal stokes down from St. Peter's Lutheran Church. The sign, made out of a   life guard stand states "Come back to God, we have a seat for you. Jesus Christ the 1st 'Life Guard' will save you."




Ocean City is an interesting mix of beach culture and Christianity. I was compelled to linger in Ocean City and came across the above billboard with the play on the word 'son'. Here's the reverse of that same sign:




The scripture verse is Acts 16:31. As I mentioned before, I was compelled to stay in Ocean City. I walked to the boardwalk and this is what I found:





I was alone, but I didn’t feel alone.

I saw the hustle and bustle of beach goers, boogie boarders, surfers, shoppers, lovers, lusters, shop keepers and then I saw the sand sculptures regarding God and Jesus.

Love God First was written on one sand tablet. Love others as self was written on another sand tablets. The tablets were surrounding a large sand sculpted head of a bearded man who I assume was to be God. At an adjacent mound of sand was the sand-sculpted depiction of Christ carrying the cross and written above the cross was the words “our sins”.

There were eight cardboard placards wedged in the sand in front of the sculpture:

If thou shalt confess with thy mouth the lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised Him from the dead, thou shalt be saved. Romans 10:9

For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son, that whosoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life. John 3:16

For by grace are ye saved through faith and that not of yourselves it is the gift of God, not of works lest any man should boast. Ephesians 2:8-9

Man shall not live by bread alone but by every word that proceedeth out of the mouth of God.  Matthew 4:4

Jesus told doubting Thomas, “Because you have seen me, you have believed; blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed.” John 20:29

Jesus said, “behold I stand at the door and knock; if any man hear my voice and open the door, I will come in to him.” Revelations 3:20

In memory of Tim Hofman 1961-2013

The biblical sand sculptures of Ocean City, MD 2nd St. and Boardwalk by randyhofman.com

I was curious and did a google search for the name of Tim Hofman. Here is an excerpt of his obituary:


"Timothy Patrick Hofman, age 52, died on May 29, 2013 at his home. Born, the 7th of nine children, he was raised on the colonial Gittings Ha Ha estate in Brookeville, MD. He was the son of Gloria Ann Haverty Hofman, and the late Leo Charles Hofman, and is survived by his wife Florence Hofman and his brothers; Leo “Fritz” Hofman, John C. Hofman, Thomas M. Hofman, all of Ocean City, G. Randy Hofman, James B. Hofman, both of Ocean Pines, and sisters; Cathie H. Rocklin of Ocean City, and Bonnie Hart of Front Royal, VA. He was preceded in death by his brother, Francis G. Hofman.

Musically gifted from an early age, Tim had been an altar boy and music coordinator at St. Peter’s Catholic Church in Olney, MD. All through his life he continued to play in churches. He became a professional pianist, classically trained under Roger Priese of the National Symphony in Washington DC. As a concert pianist, he performed all over the United States, including Las Vegas and cruise ships, and toured in 24 countries. After spending his formative years in California, he returned to the east coast in the early 1990’s to make his home in Ocean City. He enjoyed writing lyrics, and composing music. He also loved building and architecture and being a landlord. He had attended 
Salisbury University. In high school he was a national medalist in Greco Wrestling."

A talented artist, Randy Hofman's website is worth the look: www.randyhofman.com


On the Ocean City Maryland Boardwalk.


I wasn't looking for anything in particular on the boardwalk, but I was stopped in my tracks when I saw this small kiosk for "Names on Rice." My friend Hubert Marcoux made necklaces with names on rice in addition to gold wire name jewelry. He mastered these crafts to fund his solo around-the-world sailing odyssey. Hubert came into my life in the late summer of 2003. His boat, Mon Pays, which he built himself was damaged when Hurricane Juan hit Halifax. Hubert worked tirelessly to repair his boat and left Halifax for Bermuda in November of 2009. He was hit by a severe storm on his way to Bermuda and was lost at sea. Hubert was a kind and gentle hearted soul, a dear friend, and I miss him. I rest in the knowledge that he is in the loving embrace of Jesus.

There it was, the answer for my lingering in Ocean City... fond memories of Hubert.


Perhaps some of you reading this may wonder why I take photos of church signs. The reason is spiritual and not religious. I profess Jesus Christ as my Savior. The signs are a reminder of that personal relationship with him. All to often I have driven my Jeep past signs like this and because of the speed of travel and commitment to be somewhere, I'm rarely able to read them. Being on the bike is different. Not only can I stop and photograph the signs, but I can pedal away in meditation of my relationship with God.

No comments:

Post a Comment