Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Saturday 15 June 2013

June 15, 2013 Cayuga State Park to Ithaca, NY 62.5 km

Route 89 runs along the west side of Cayuga Lake. Long up-hills were hard work but the entire route was scenic.




One of the many vineyards in the Finger Lake Region.


I had to stop several times because of saddle-soreness, needing water, and to rest my legs during some of the hills. I noticed this sign, next to me just as I was about to cycle away. Crossroads, yes, very apt for my reason to take the trip.

I'm getting stronger, but as I was sitting working on this post, my hamstring went into a cramp causing me to bolt upright immediately and hobble around. More and steeper hills tomorrow... Yikes.

1 comment:

  1. Good luck with those hills, Pat! Best wishes from Bogota. Be good.

    Jos

    ReplyDelete