Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Monday 24 June 2013

Newark, New Jersey to Sea Girt, New Jersey 61 km (38 miles)

I left the comfort of the Holiday Inn early Sunday morning and rode along Hwys 1 & 9 toward Liberty State Park in Jersey City. The ride was about 17.5 km (11 miles).


Hwys 1 and 9 were not bike friendly, although they did have a pretty good shoulder for most of the way. I was glad that it was Sunday when I was riding. At one point I took an off ramp thinking that I could skirt the highways and still make it to the bridge that I was to cross... Nope! I wound up in an industrial park and was shocked at how much garbage was on the sides of the streets.


Leaving Liberty State Park.


 Manhattan Sky Line from the ferry.


On the Ferry from Liberty State Park, New Jersey to the World Financial Center Ferry Terminal, New York City. I had wanted to take a ferry to Liberty Island to see the Statue of Liberty up close, but due to damage from Hurricane Sandy, no ferries were landing.


Freedom Tower silhouetted by the sun.


I walked my bike up toward Freedom Tower and snapped this photo which does not do justice to its immense size and height.


I was surprised by how bike friendly New York City was.


You can learn all about the NYC City Bike rental system at http://citibikenyc.com/how-it-works


The Pier 11 Ferry Terminal was only 2.5 km from Freedom Tower. I took the above ferry to Sandy Hook, New Jersey along with quite a few beach goers from Manhattan.


Bikes on the ferry. The guy who sold me the one way ticket to Sandy Hook told me to make sure my bike and gear were secure for the speedy passage - the boat travels up to 35 knots.


The Manhattan skyline from the ferry to Sandy Hook.


Fort Hancock is on the Sandy Hook Peninsula. In 1895 the US Army set up a major defensive point for New York City.


There was a beautiful paved bicycle path through Fort Hancock and the entire Sandy Hook Peninsula.


I didn't expect to see cacti in New Jersey. Above is the yellow flowered Prickly Pear Cactus which thrives in the dry sand of the Sandy Hook area.


Fort Hancock was closed as a missile base in 1974. Above is the Nike Hercules Missile. During the Cold War Era, missiles were stationed here to defend New York City and Philadelphia.


Miles of white, soft, sandy, beach makes up Sandy Hook.


A closed (obviously) section of the bicycle path that was torn up by Hurricane Sandy.


The sign in front of Sea Bright United Methodist Church quotes John 5:6 and reads, "Jesus asked, Do you want to be Made Well?" "All Welcome"

From Sandy Hook I rode to Sea Girts, New Jersey,  41 km (25.5 miles).

Just as I was out of Sea Bright a guy named Tom pedalled up next to me. Wearing flip-flops, a tank top and riding a beach cruiser bike he was heading toward a watering hole in the town of Neptune. Tom had a knapsack embossed with the name and symbol for the "Wounded Warrior Project." I asked him about the project. Tom volunteers with the logistics of getting wounded vets, many of whom are amputees, out surfing. Tom also gave me a running commentary of how Hurricane Sandy had disrupted the lives of so many in this area. We rode together until I took a break at the Bradley Beach 7-11.

At the Starbuck's in Sea Girt, NJ I met Jim who asked about my trip and wished me well.

I was happy to be able to give Jim and Tom a card with my e-mail and blog address. I had the cards made up by Patti, the owner of Quality Printing and Design Inc., in Honesdale, Pennsylvania while visiting Mark, Kelly and my nephews. Thanks Patti - great work!


5 comments:


  1. Between you and Z I'm getting some real entertainment following your Bike trips, your both good writers .....If I was doing that section near Newark I'd have felt comfortable with my a Glock tucked somewhere.

    Are you going to use the Cape May Ferry to continue south ? The next two weekends are big tourist traveling times.......you must consume copious amounts of water etc in the heat.......I got a little dehydrated on a bike once, (along the Erie canal), started to see green things dancing around.

    That card is well done, take care, eoin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Eoin,

    Yes you are correct about consuming the fluids. Sometimes it feels as if it comes out of my skin as fast as I can drink it. At other times copious amounts of sweat on my brow flow into my eyes stinging and causing me to blindingly blink so much that I have to stop and wipe the salty froth away.

    Off to a bike shop this morning.

    Best wishes,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  3. You need a bandana to wrap around your forehead to cure the salt sting in yer eyes - especially with all the tropical style weather your headed into......I like those big "farmer" style red bandanas, they have multiple uses and can be easily washed or used as a wash cloth, after the first few washes they they're soft enough to be comfortable around your head. They have some first aid uses too. When you stop you can rinse them out in cold water and its refreshing to tie back on yer noggin.

    Give me a post office location 4 or 5 days ahead of you and I'll send you some General Delivery ........ eoin

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Eoin,
    I've got 3 red bandanas with me that I purchased while in Honesdale, PA and have made use of them on my head. Soaking one in cold water hadn't occurred to me and is a great idea in the heat. Thanks for that suggestion. As for mailing anything ahead - I'm planning my route day to day.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Catching up to you, Pat. (so to speak)

    Your entries have reminded me of the great conversations we had many, many years ago and how they influenced my life. Me thinks you're doing it again, my friend.

    Looking forward to reading more...
    Robb

    ReplyDelete