Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 11 June 2013

Font Hill, Ontario to Lockport, NY 55 km


The sun peeked through as I was leaving Mary and Jos' place this morning. My legs felt pretty good as I set out, but I was pretty saddle sore, causing me to take a break at the Starbucks in Niagara Falls.


The photo above is taken from the Rainbow Bridge. There is a majesty to Niagara Falls from this vantage point which is a huge contrast from the museums and shops on Clifton Hill.


I rode the bike up to the customs kiosk where the where the US Border Agent stepped out to scrutinize me. I handed him my US passport.
"Where are you coming from?"
"I live in Halifax, Nova Scotia, but I started this trip at my brother's place in Brantford, Ontario."
"Where are you going?"
"I'm heading across upstate New York and then dropping south along one of the Finger Lakes toward my other brother's place in Northeastern, Pennsylvania. If my legs hold out, I'm going to try to make it to Florida."
"Anything to declare?"
"No sir."
"All right then." He handed me back my passport.

There was no catharsis to my crossing the border into the country of my birth. I had travelled in and out of the US numerous times over the course of my chiropractic practice. Crossing by bicycle was different though, at least for me, because it signalled the beginning of something and the end of something. What's over the next hill? What's around the next corner? Who will I meet? What will I learn?

Misty rain greeted me as I cycled into Lockport. I need to rest my knees and the skin over my ischium, which is pretty sore. My body doesn't tolerate or recover as fast as it used to from the cycling. That's okay though, one day at a time and I'll be in shape before I know it. At 249 pounds it will be interesting to see how much weight I lose by the end of the trip!

No comments:

Post a Comment