Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 28 June 2013

Berlin, Maryland to Pocomoke, Maryland 35 miles (56 km)

Last night, during a thunderstorm, both hamstrings cramped for about half an hour. The pain was excruciating. I was in my tent and flopping around like a fresh caught fish. I self massaged, pounded and forced my legs straight. As I tried to force them straight my quads wanted to cramp. Eventually the cramps passed. I've been pedalling that heavy bike into a stiff south westerly wind ever since Sandy Point, NJ. The wind coupled with extreme heat and humidity have taken a toll.

I left the campground at 6:00 am this morning.


"Home of the free, because of the brave" is the message on the Bethany United Methodist Church sign, located along the Stephen Decatur Highway (Route 611) in Berlin, Maryland.

Within a few hundred meters of traveling down Highway 113, I felt the squish-wobble of another flat rear tire. I walked the bike to Berlin's Stephen Decatur Park and found a bench to make the repair.


Repairing a rear tire flat is always more work because of the gear that needs to be unloaded from the bike. Beautiful morning for a repair!

I googled the name Stephen Decatur, whose name was familiar to me, but I couldn't recall his place in American history. Decatur, born on the Maryland coast, was a highly decorated naval officer, known for his heroism in the many battles that he partook, including the War of 1812 with Britain.


This wheat field shined golden by morning sun was so striking that I laid my bike on the side of Highway 113 to take the photo.


The message on the Snow Hill Mennonite Church reads: Jesus said, "I am the light of the world."


Near the end of cycling for today. I was spent... dehydrated despite consuming copious amounts of water... and hamstring cramps. I took a hotel room in Pocomoke to rest and recovery.

5 comments:

  1. Sounds like you need a rest day (or two), Pat!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like I've caught up to you, Pat.

    Hope you enjoy some recovery time tonight and sleep well!

    Robb

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, Robb,
    Thanks for following the blog and posting comments. I woke up this morning and was still feeling the ill-effects from cycling against the wind and heat (into the furnace, as one guy described my direction of travel during a rest stop). I'm spending one more night here to give me a full day of rest. Hope that all is well with you,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Pat I know your the Dr but I wonder if you should try to consume a Banana a couple times a week and maybe pop a half an aspirin every other day to deal with those cramps.....magnesium potassium and a little blood thinning aspirin might do the trick.....I'd take the aspirin at bedtime ??

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Eoin,
    Eating 2-4 bananas per day, drinking copious amounts of water and taking supplements... the extreme heat had still taken a toll and I felt much better after the day off. Sometimes there is no substitute for just plain rest when your body needs it. Regardless, thanks for the advice. Have an awesome day.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete