Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Wednesday 12 June 2013

Lockport, NY to Rochester, NY 98 km


Erie Canal Lock in Lockport, NY. The original Erie Canal of 1825 was called Clinton's Ditch and was only 4 feet deep. By 1862 the enlarged Erie Canal was 7 feet deep and spanned 350.5 miles and had 72 locks. By 1918 the canal was 12-14 feet deep, had 35 locks allowing barges up to 2000 tons with a 10 foot draft (depth of vessel in the water). The Erie Canal is a major factor in the industrial revolution of the North East.

Thomas Jefferson was the 3rd President of the US and was approached by a delegation from New York seeking federal funding to build the canal. Jackson refused to support the measure, fearing that the massive cost would bankrupt the US Treasury. The State of New York went on to foot the bill for the entire project. Hmmm, when did US Presidents decide that it was okay to bankrupt the US Treasury?

I stopped for a $3.99 breakfast of 2 eggs, 3 sausage links, hash browns and rye toast at a diner in Medina, NY. I walked in to the diner sporting my bright, canary-yellow, bike jersey from the 2012 Enbridge Ride to Conquer Cancer. A table of four old-timers stopped their conversation, popped their heads up and followed me with questioning gazes as if I was an alien dropped off by the mothership.

After breakfast I was joined on the trail by a guy named Jim who was pedalling a mountain bike. He was trying to catch up to the kayaker who camped in his yard which fronted the canal, simply to tell the kayaker goodbye and nice to meet you. Jim and I chatted as we pedalled for about three miles with no kayaker in sight. Jim said goodbye and turned west to head home.

Within a few minutes, I found the kayaker.
"Hey man, there's a guy named Jim who rode a bit with me looking for you."
"What?" The kayaker paddled closer to the canal edge near the trail to get in better ear shot of me.
"Jim was riding with me. He says to say goodbye and happy travels."
"Oh hey, thanks, Jim's a great guy. I camped in his yard."
Matt had started this leg of his kayak trip in Buffulo. He's planning to follow the Erie Canal and Hudson river to New York City, traveling 10 to 25 miles per day. I coasted my bike along side him as we shared our travel plans.
"Pat, goodbye my friend, and happy travels."
"You too Jim, nice to meet you."


Cottonwood trees were shedding there seeds. Fluffy cotton balls floated through the air like big snowflakes. The muddy looking canal water was dotted with the fluffy seeds. In one section of the trail the cottony seeds blanketed the ground an inch thick.



On of the many lift bridges along the canal. This one in Albion, NY. The bridges lift giving vessels up to a 15 1/2 foot clearance.


There was so much beauty along the canal trail and lots of wild life. Hundreds of geese with their maturing goslings either sat on the trail, hissing at me as I passed or formed flotillas in the water. There were also numerous Great Blue Herons that either held a motionless pose while eyeing me as I passed or became frightened and spread there massive wing span to fly further down stream. Bird song filled the trees and brush at the trail's edge. This and the soft crunch of my tires on the crusher gravel was a welcome change from the sound of traffic.


This turtle was the only "wildlife" that posed for me. There were several areas along the trails edge where it looked like the turtle dugs burrows for laying their eggs.


I stopped and visited with this couple. They live in Taiwan and were cycling from Utica, NY around Lake Ontario and ultimately to Quebec City where they would fly home from. I could tell that they were initially nervous speaking to me, probably because of their broken english. After I took their photo, Toung (sp?) asked his wife to take a photo of him standing next to me. He put his hand on my back as the photo was taken. I couldn't help but notice the US flag that he sported on his bike. I hope that they are met with warm hospitality during their travels.


Shortly after hitting a pot hole, one of the very few because the trail is in excellent condition, I heard the  snap-twang of a rear spoke break. I was just leaving Brockport, NY. Fortunately a fellow cyclist gave me detailed instructions to Sugar's Bike Shop, only about 500m from the trail along Route 259 in Spencerport, NY. Hoping that no other spokes snapped, I rode very slow and careful the next 3 miles to the bike shop. The guys immediately stopped working on other bikes, replaced the spoke and trued rear wheel. Excellent service - thanks guys.

1 comment:

  1. So glad your trip is going well! Miss you and can't wait to see you...hopefully soon!

    ReplyDelete