Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Saturday 15 June 2013

Thursday, June 13th A Day Off at the Holiday Inn Rochester

I didn't plan on taking a day off, but it was welcome. I woke up early Thursday morning, packed up the bike, put on my cycling clothes and walked to the lobby of the Holiday Inn Rochester Airport which the Erie Canal Trail runs right by. Rain was teeming down.

I had in mind to cycle in the rain however the day off served a more important purpose - I needed to rest my saddle sore backside. In response to a previous post my sister Amy e-mailed me and asked "What's an ischium?" The ischium is one of the bones that make up your pelvis and is commonly known as the "sit bone."Yes, the bone that you should be sitting on IF you sit with proper posture. If you slouch, then you are putting pressure on another bone, the sacrum and doing what chiropractors would call, "the sacral sit" which is hard on your low back.

Regardless, the skin over my ischium is in rough shape. Kinda like a diaper rash caused by the pressure and friction of sitting on the bike saddle. During a late afternoon break in the rain, I went for a 1 km walk to the local Rite Aid Pharmacy and bought the following (the picture says it all):


I noticed this church during my walk. Yes, just as during my 1986 bicycle tour, I am photographing churches along the way. The difference between now and then is that in 1986, I was consumed with the questions regarding religion. Now, I still find churches interesting, but it is not about religion, it is about my spiritual journey and my relationship with God. Seeing churches, with their various shapes, sizes and signs is a reminder of the spiritual journey that I'm on.


The Glory to God Christian Fellowship Church is located at 640 Brooks Ave, Rochester, NY.

No comments:

Post a Comment