Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 2 July 2013

A Right Winger, Ranger Marsha and a Bit of Enlightenment?

I was drawn to stay in Virginia Beach another day. When I say drawn, I mean compelled, like an inner knowing, like I couldn't move from this place until the time was right, until whatever was supposed to happen, happened.

I sat at the First landing State Park wifi cafe early in the morning checking e-mail, studying maps and visiting with Chuck. I had actually met him yesterday and he handed me a cigar to carry down to Florida so that I could smoke it in front of the pink bandstand at the Hollywood Florida Beach Boardwalk - one of his favourite hangouts. He demonstrated a Navy Seal core strengthening exercise that he performs daily while listening to the morning broadcast of the BBC or the local right wing talk radio, all while puffing a cigar. In turn, I demonstrated to him the best shoulder stability exercise that I have been doing, taught to me by Hilary my physiotherapist at Camp Hill Veterans memorial Hospital in Halifax.

Today he felt more comfortable around me and called himself Chucky and then revealed his stage name "Ronny Charles". A Vietnam Veteran, street musician, right wing political commentator and a die hard kite boarder, Chuck had me 'chuck'ling all morning.


Chuck, his cigar and his computer. He actually lives near the Park and uses it as a resort "without the price tag." I asked him if I could photograph the sticker on his computer, which pretty much sums up his view of the Obama Administration...


The Gadsden Flag with the phrase, "Don't Tread on Me." Chuck is planning to move to Asheville, North Carolina in preparation for martial law and the collapse of the US economy. He assured me that he didn't believe the collapse would happen during my bicycle tour and that I'd have time to get back to Canada once I'm down in Florida.

My visit with Chuck ended when Park Ranger Marsha Miller, who I had also met yesterday, came by to pick me up for a day of sight seeing on her day off. Marsha had asked me to think of what I like to see.

Edgar Cayce's Association for Research and Enlightenment is nearby and I've been familiar with some of his revelations on healing. The 62 year old Chuck was quick to explain that Edgar Cayce gravitated to the Virginia Beach area because of "there's a healing vortex here. I believe that's why I'm so young looking and healthy."

Marsha took me to the Heritage Natural Market, where we met Tatjana Green the Holistic Center Director. Tatjana set up a massage for me with Leisa who worked out some sore spots in my quads, hamstrings and shoulder.

I also spent some time in the Heritage Natural Market looking for protein bars that are not based in soy, but rather based in whey protein... hard to find! Consuming too much non-fermented soy (e.g. edamame, tofu, soy milk, soy oils) has chemicals that can cause hormonal imbalances, especially effecting the thyroid and reproductive hormones. Fermented soy (e.g. soy sauce) breaks down these chemicals and is much safer and healthy. If you are interested in reading more about this issue go to this address: http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2010/10/13/soy-controversy-and-health-effects.aspx

The other place I wanted to visit was an observation point for the US Navy Fighter Jets that I had been hearing scream overhead for the past 2 days.


The photo doesn't do justice to the speed and power of these planes doing manoeuvres around Oceana Naval Air Station.


Marsha had some connections and took me to the Virginia Aquarium Rescue Center (not open to the public). Above is a Green Sea Turtle (Chelonia mydas) who had been rescued. Many of the seaturtles get into life threatening situations simply due to large temperature fluctuations. Listed as an endangered species, many juvenile Greens can still be found in the Chesapeake Bay waters along with their cousin the endangered Loggerhead Sea Turtle (Caretta caretta). Marsha explained that she volunteers to do a turtle patrole one day per week. This year she found a nest with up to 140 eggs that were relocated to a safer nesting beach away from beach traffic.

Marsha and I went to visit the Association for Research and Enlightenment. Walking into the building area your senses are tickled by a light scent of jasmine before you are welcomed by an eager to assist receptionist. There's a small bowl on her desk and visitors are invited to pick a small scroll that when unravelled contains a short affirmation written by Edgar Cayce. My affirmation read:

"Don't feel sorry for self if you have chosen the wrong road - turn around!" Edgar Cayce Reading 462-10

Initially my bike tour came to mind and I thought, I'm definitely on the right road. In many ways this bicycle tour represents my turn around from the road I have travelled since the influencing and shaping events of 1986.

Edgar Cayce (1877 to 1945) was born in Hopkinsville, Kentucky and became  a leading psychic, giving readings to people mostly about holistic health and healing. A devote Christian he read the Bible once a year, every year of his life. Located in Virginia Beach, in 1931 Cayce established non-profit Association for Research and Enlightenment with the mandate to investigate topics, mostly on health, from his psychic readings.


In the meditation room of the Association for Research and Enlightenment. The quote that I'm standing next to is from Cayce's writing and states, "Lord, let me - my mind, my body, my soul - be at-one with thee. That I - through Thy promises in Him, Thy Son - may know Thee more and more."

Please indulge me by helping you to understand what happened next...

Some of my close friends and family have heard me explain that I often wake up at 4:44 am or I notice the time 4:44 pm or a sign or licence plate with 444 on it. This has been happening to me for several years now. The time seems to be showing up a lot on this trip and with anything to do with publishing my memoir about the 1986 bicycle tour.

My brother Dan, sister-in-law Kathy and I have had experiences with my seeing 4:44 repeatedly. Kathy sees 11:11 repeated and will say, "Hi Pops" because of those numbers being her father's favourite ones while he was alive. 

For instance, in December of last year I was on the phone speaking to an agent for a self-publishing firm. Upon hanging up and feeling a sense of taking a step forward toward publishing, I noticed the time on the phone was 4:44 pm.

I called Wendy, the administrator at my "home" church Emmanuel Baptist Church, Upper Hammonds Plains, NS on Friday, February 8, 2013 with the desire to deliver a draft copy of the memoir to Pastor Lennett Anderson for his feedback. We arranged for me to deliver the draft copy to him. Upon hanging up the time was 4:44 pm.

At one point I googled "4:44 meaning" and a website for "Angel Numbers" came up. The site explained that seeing the number 4:44 repeatedly means to pay attention to your intuition or inner wisdom because your connection with angels is very strong.

Another time I asked Armand, a counsellor who I spoke to regarding the repressed memories from the 1986 bicycle tour what he thought seeing the numbers 444 might mean. A trained Shaman, Armand explained that in Shamanism the number 4 means completion and that because I see 3 number fours it might mean that I have completed 3 of my 4 cycles of my life here on earth. In other words, it could be symbolic of my entering the last phase of my life.

I did my own searching as well regarding 4:44. In the Bible, John 4:44 states "For Jesus Himself testified that a prophet has no honour in his own country." I have certainly noticed this within the chiropractic profession. Lecturers from away are always well received as expert in what they are teaching.

Luke 4:43-44 states, "but He said to them, 'I must preach the kingdom of God to the other cities also, because for this purpose I have been sent.' And He was preaching in the synagogues of Galilee."

So why am I going on about my experience with 4:44? It is important to understand that I don't look for this time or these numbers to show up in my life, they just do. In fact, I usually come across 4:44 when I am not even thinking about it... like waking up at 4:44 am, noticing 4:44 pm when I got into the pick-up truck with Ricky who shuttled me across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge-Tunnels, and noticing 444 in a Bible open on a table at the Association for Research and Enlightenment...


In the Meditation Room on the 3rd floor of the Association for Research and Enlightenment, was a small table. On the small table was a Bible. The Bible was open to page 1444. On that page was Matthew Chapter 22, Verse 44 which reads, "The Lord said unto my Lord Sit thou on my right hand till I make thine enemies thy footstool."

I wondered if this had anything to do with the justice that I sought regarding the bicycle tour of 1986. Back in April of this year I had been studying scripture regarding justice and found Psalm 37:5-6 which promises, "Commit your way to the Lord, Trust also in Him, And He shall bring it to pass. He shall bring forth your righteousness as the light, And your justice as the noonday."

Some people would label my experience with 444 as nonsense. Others would label it as being anti-Christian and New Age garbage. I truly don't know what to make of it. Are my angels trying to communicate with me? Is there a truth for me in Biblical verses with 4:44? Or is it all some sort of a meaningless coincidence? Today it didn't feel like mere coincidence. Today it felt as if I was on the verge of discovery, wisdom and guidance. Maybe I'm close to the vortex that Chuck was talking about!


I'd like to thank Marsha, who made the day possible.

3 comments:

  1. Coincidence or not I've been looking for some research about soy , thanks for the link, I luv the stuff but once read that it can mess with male hormones.....I'll read the article.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Pat if U go down 17 through Georgia U should visit jekyll Island, free entry for bikes, all kinds of places to camp free and a beautiful beach , the whole Island is a state park, all kinds of good water to drink and free modern showers and bathrooms - they also have a Dairy Queen with a "varied menu" and a small grocery and postal mail center.....the whole Isalnd is 20 miles around.....also see below

    http://www.georgiaseaturtlecenter.org

    ReplyDelete
  3. Re: Soy it'd be interesting to hear what "Z" has to say about Soy - I thought that most of the world lives on forms of soy beans....after Rice and Red Beans (S America)

    ReplyDelete