Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 16 July 2013

Georgetown to Mount Pleasant, South Carolina 57.5 miles (92.6 km) - Ride the Line


"God grades us on the cross, not the curve." The Trinity Lutheran Church sign as I was leaving Georgetown was thought provoking.  I think what they are trying to convey is that Jesus died for all of us, not some of us. The whole "grades us" concept is a bit judgemental though, especially when I consider God's unconditional love. Too many churches try to scare people into their doors by the judgement and damnation narratives versus unconditional love and salvation messages.

There's only two small towns, McClellanville and Awendaw, between Georgetown and Mount Pleasant. Highway 17 passes through part of the massive Francis Marion National Forest. At about 9:30 this morning, I passed the Buck Hall Campground of the National Forest. I camped there in during the bicycle tour of 1986, just days after having been assaulted in Virginia. Today, I was struck by how much of the route I don't recall 27 years later. I think that this is related to the massive efforts of repressing the event.

There was no shoulder along Highway 17 until I reached the Charleston County line, where the narrow shoulder also sported a rumple strip or clumps of grass that made riding on it challenging. Once the city boundary for Mount Pleasant was crossed, the shoulder disappeared again.


"Walk close to God so nothing can come between." This sign seemed very to the point when I considered the narrow gap between traffic speeding past me and the side of the road that I tightroped.

I passed a lot of those small "Jesus Saves" signs at homes and churches along my route. I do find it interesting that the "Saves" message has endured more than any other attribute of Christ's life. Christ was a teacher, leader, healer and embodied unconditional love. Maybe the word 'Saves' is meant to convey all that Christ is and not just the you-better-believe-or-you're-damned end of life salvation message that many Churches rely on to keep the seats filled. Regardless, I'm thankful for my relationship with God.

2 comments:

  1. Happy to see your trip is continuing safely. My name is Earleen & I met you at the Quality Inn Hotel at check out. Looking forward to seeing you light up that big cigar at the end of your bike trip. Please stay safe & God be with you in your travels & everyday life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Earleen,
    Thank you for your message! Blessings to you in your life too.
    Sincerely,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete