Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 23 July 2013

Brunswick, Georgia to the bicycling paradise, Amelia Island, Florida 60 miles (100 km)

Yesterday (July 22, 2013) I only managed 28 miles from Darien to the south side of Brunswick, Georgia. I take a couple photos though:


Lighthouse Baptist Church sign states, "The message of Christ can not be changed but it can change you." I liked this message but thought that it needed a few more words, "...if you let it."


The First Free Will Baptist Church want you to, "Do more than forgive - forget." I only partially agree with this statement. By 'forgetting' you can set yourself up for the same pattern of hurt. As far as I'm concerned their is nothing wrong with remembering that which hurt you. Remembering can be protection and prevent you from going down the same bad road. Forgiveness and remembering is part of the healing journey.


The cable suspension bridge in the distance is the Sidney Lanier Bridge. The climb to the high point of the bridge, coupled with wind and heat seemed to zap my energy more than normal. My body needed a rest. When I stopped, I slept for 3 hours in the middle of the afternoon and then another 9 hours at night.

I felt a lot better today (July 23, 2013) and managed to cycle 60 miles from Brunswick, Georgia to Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Florida.

About 9 miles out of Brunswick I stopped at the Waverly Mini Mart at the corner of Highway 17 and Route 110. I drank 2 black hot coffees and ate a few homemade oatmeal raisin cookies while visiting with Jay, the owner. I watched and listened as customers filed in and out of his shop. He knew most of them on a first name basis and his shop was an obvious hub for this small cross roads town. He said things like, "that'll be three hundred and seven cents" and "Thank you neighbour."

I shared my reasons for the bicycle tour with Jay and told him about being inspired by the book Wild by Cheryl Strayed. Jay was familiar with the fly-in fishing experience, having gone on a fly-in fishing-hunting trip to northern Ontario with his father some years before. After showing him the photo of me sitting in the boat holding the 33 inch Northern Pike, he said, "Wow, that's a big fish. Is that your father?"
"No, its me." I looked at the photo and realized how different I looked with some weight off and a tan from cycling for the past 5 weeks.

We talked about taxes and health care differences between the US and Canada. After we discussed local crime - even in this small country place crystal meth is a problem - I asked Jay if he had a gun for protection behind his counter. Jay was preparing pizzas for the lunch time customers and out of my eye shot when I asked the question. He stepped into my view and lifted his t-shirt revealing a handgun tucked into the top of his shorts.
"I hope that I never have to use it. This gun was given to me. As a shop owner in Georgia, I don't even have to have it registered. Most of the locals know that I have it."
Seeing the gun was a bit out of the ordinary for me. People don't carry guns like this in Canada and there's a pretty strict gun registry. Still it doesn't really deter gun violence in Canada. The criminal element will alway get a hold of guns regardless of the laws. I think that if I had a shop like Jay's Waverly Mini Mart, I might be inclined to have a gun for protection too.

Jay also told me that he had recently been diagnosed with a blood clot in his leg and said that they also found a spot on one of his lungs. I hope and pray for his healing. I said goodbye and we offered one another a "God Bless." I pedalled away feeling like Jay could be a friend if I lived in Georgia.


In Woodbine Georgia, I felt stronger after reading the Ebenezer Missionary Baptist Church sign that stated, "The joy of the Lord is my strength."


The Gethsemane Missionary Baptist Church sign states, "To recharge your spiritual battery, plug into the Source." I know that when I'm charged up spiritually, I feel better physically and emotionally.

I thought about why a church would name itself after Gethsemane. A lot took place for Jesus in the Garden of Gethsemane. Jesus prayed to His Father, asking if the torture and crucifixion to death could be avoided, but He chose God's will for His own suffering, death and resurrection as a promise for the redemption of all humankind. An angel visited Jesus after that prayer and strengthened Him for what was about to take place. Jesus healed the ear of the high priest's servant who was struck by a disciple's sword. Jesus was arrested and then the disciples who were with Him, left Him. The very human Jesus must have suffered so much emotionally knowing what He was about to face and also by being betrayed by those closest to Him.


This is Curtis and Madeline of Faith Barber and Beauty Salon. I spotted their shop along Hwy 17 (291A North Lee St.) in Kingsland, Georgia and was compelled to stop for the haircut that I was needing. Madeline sat me in her styling chair and began my clipper cut. There was a book by Joel Osteen on a stool near us. I knew that I was amongst good people when I spotted that book. Joel Osteen is one of the few television preachers that I like to listen to. He is a great story teller and his messages are clear, concise, encouraging and relevant. Curtis, the barber, came in an gave me a world class clipper cut.

Along Highway 17 into Kingland there were signs stating that the bridge ahead was not passible. This is the bridge that spans the St. Mary's River - Georgia on one side and Florida on the other. As I approached the intersection of Highway 17 and Highway 40 in Kingsland, I spotted an officer in a police car parked facing the Southbound Highway 17 traffic. I pulled up beside his car and motioned for him to roll down his window. He had a police dog in the car that started to bark at my presence. Instead of rolling down the window he motioned for me to move so that he could get out of the patrol car.
"Hi there, I noticed the signs saying the bridge is out. Can I get by on a bike?"
"No the bridge is totally shut down."
"Well can I go on I95 to get into Florida?"
"No what you have to do is turn right here and take 40 into Folkston and then get on Hwy 1 which will take you into Florida."
"Okay, but isn't that way out of my way?"
"It'll only add about 4 miles onto your route."
"Okay, thanks for your help."
"You be careful."
"I will. Thanks."

I started to pedal west along Highway 40 and decided to stop for lunch at a diner before leaving Kingsland. A guy pulled up in his pick-up truck and approached me.
"Are you trying to go south on 17 into Florida?"
"Yeah but the bridge is out and the cop back at the corner told me to go this way."
"Did he tell you how far out of your way you'd be going?"
"He said only about 4 more miles."
"You're kidding! It's more like 40 miles out of your way. I'm Terry, I own a bike shop in St. Mary's which is east on Highway 40. I'd be happy to put your bike in my pick-up and drive you over the river on I-95."

Trust. This was the first time that someone just came up to me out of the blue and made an offer like this. My head kinda whirled with, who is this guy and can he be trusted? Sometimes you just get a good feeling about someone and intuitively know their heart and that they can be trusted.

Terry and I shook hands and then loaded my bike into the back of his trailer. I asked Terry if his shop was on our way.
"Why do you need something?"
"I've been stopping at bike shops along my route. I'm trying to find a souvenier bike-shop-jersey, but most shops don't carry them or they don't have my size."
Terry immediately called his wife Darlene at the shop and determined that they had a jersey that I might like and in my size.


Terry with my bike loaded in the back of his pick-up. St. Marys is a major Naval submarine base and an economic lifeline to the town. Terry served as a submariner with the US Navy and recalled a visit to Halifax after his sub had made a trip under the Arctic. When he finished serving he opened up a bicycle shop.


Terry and Darlene Landreth outside of their Camden Bicycle Center shop, 1929 Osbourne Road, St. Marys, Georgia. Not only did they have a great jersey that I bought, but Terry took me on a driving tour of St. Marys.

You can visit their website at www.camdenbikes.com

On our way to I-95 Terry asked if I had taken photos of state signs during my trip.
"Yeah, in fact I've got a photo of my bike next to the Florida sing along Highway 17 that I took during my 1986 bicycle tour."
"I'm driving you to that sign so that you can take a photo for this tour."


This is the same sign that my bicycle was leaning up against in 1986. I'm wearing the new jersey from the Camden Bicycle Center.

Meeting Terry and his kindness was completely unexpected. When we parted shaking hands I said, "Thank you. You know there are no coincidences. You are a God-send."

My ride into Yulee, Florida seemed effortless. I stopped at Missy's Daily Buffet - a recommendation by Terry  and had a filling lunch with 2 large glasses of iced tea that revived me from the hot ride. Two young ladies named Sarah and Amber were working at Missy's and asked about my trip. Amber had recently purchased a bike from Terry's shop and was pleased to know that he had recommended Missy's.Sarah stepped out of Missy's as I was about to pedal away and shook my hand a second time saying, "if you need anything you just give us a call."

I'm so grateful for the kind people that I've met today.


The west side of the Yulee United Methodist Church sign reads,"Weather forecast Jesus rains." Yes, Jesus rains love upon us and He Reigns as our Saviour."


The east side of the sign, "Of faith, hope and love, Love is the greatest."


Florida's Highway A1A had a dedicated bike lane most of the way... the bicycling promised land.

2 comments:

  1. Keep it up Pat almost there. I have a number of friends from Camden County in the Kingsland area. Be safe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Eli. Great to receive this message from you. Best wishes, Pat

    ReplyDelete