Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Monday 15 July 2013

North Myrtle Beach to Georgetown, South Carolina 51.6 miles (83.1 km)

Laura who was working the front desk of the Comfort Inn at North Myrtle Beach had talked with me last night regarding my bike tour and the memoir that I'll be having published about the 1986 bike tour. I shared the story about finding the book Wild, by Cheryl Strayed up a the fish camp. When I handed her the card of my blog and email, she seemed to recognize my name and recalled meeting another doctor and his wife who were in the hotel a few months prior and had told her about me and the book that I was working on. Wow, bizarre. I racked my brain trying to think of whom that might be. I gave her the last names of some of my friends and colleagues who knew about the memoir, but she could not find anyone in the hotel's data base to match those names and her memory. I wonder if she had a premonitory dream or vision about meeting me or maybe there's someone else with a similar last name as me and who has written a memoir like mine. 

In the morning Rose and Mr. B were at the hotel's front desk. Laura had left a note introducing me and suggested that I be given a Friends and Family Discount for use down the road. Rose set up the discount for me as I stood there and invited me to call her if I need any more as I made my way south. Pretty amazing kindness and hospitality. I'm very thankful for having met all of them.

I got off of Highway 17 and on to Ocean Blvd through Myrtle Beach. There were quite a number of people biking and jogging along Ocean Blvd which had a dedicated bike lane for some stretches, paved shoulder for other stretches and no shoulder for other stretches. I was glad to be away from the heavy traffic of Hwy 17. Decreased traffic and then finding a couple of beach hotels that had Starbucks which drew me in for a Tall Green Tea Frappaccino and Tall Dark Roast... mmm relaxing. Maybe the universe thoguht I had things too easy today... another flat tire on the rear wheel. My progress was slowed considerably.

I made my way to Beach Bike Shop at 711 Broadway St. in Myrtle Beach and made the decision to have a high quality puncture resistant tire and tube installed. I think that there must be an unwritten rule about bike shops helping guys on long bicycle tours. Sean, (yes spelled the same way as my son) who was working on a bike in the back repair shop immediately stopped what he was doing to work on my bike. On my way out of the shop I handed Gail who was working the cash the card with my blog and email. We immediately got into a conversation about chiropractic. The entire shop got in on the conversation and they wanted me to set up a table and start adjusting each of them. 

If you are ever in need of a bike shop in Myrtle Beach, South Carolina - go see these folks. they really care and give awesome service. Here's their shop website address: www.beachbikeshop.com


Once I was out of Myrtle Beach and back on Hwy 17, there was a shoulder that varied from about 8 inches to 18 inches. The scenery along the route was lush green with pine trees that had long soft looking pine needles. My intention was to camp at Huntington Beach State Campground. The geezer at the registration booth of the campground seemed to take pleasure in admonishing me for not knowing that I should have had a registration. It wasn't so much what he said, but how he said it...
"We're full. We been full since April."
"There isn't even a tent site for me?"
"No, we're full."
"I can't really register for campsites ahead of time because I started my trip in Canada and I never really know how far I can go on the bike in any given day."
"Like I said, we're full. Sorry I can't help you. You'll have to turn around and leave."

It's too bad that campgrounds don't have unwritten rules like bicycle shops that would accommodate a guy traveling by bicycle.


This striking statue is at the entrance of Brookgreen Gardens, a designated National Historic Landmark and is close to Huntington Beach State Park . The park was created in 1931 by Archer and Anna Hyatt Huntington and is hallmarked by renowned sculptures. I wanted pay the $14 entrance fee to explore the gardens and see the sculptures but it was already after 4:00 pm, the gardens close at 5:00 pm and the closest accommodation I could find was 18 miles south in Georgetown. Back on the bike and heavy traffic. The last 11 miles were a sweat bath and completely drained me.

4 comments:

  1. Ups and downs of a day of Pat on the bike... :-)
    Sounds like the old guy needs another rest day? All kidding aside, Pat, I am getting tired just reading your blog. You have my admiration for going at it every day with the heat, the headwinds and those darn flat tires. Did you see any of the Tour de France stuff on the TV? Yesterday they went up that Mount Vernoux....!

    Stay safe,

    Jos

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Jos, I'm taking a day off in Charleston, SC... I'll be posting more than just church signs... beautiful city and lots to see. Thanks for your encouragement.
      Pat

      Delete
  2. Looks like Pat you are making good time. I guess it's been 3 weeks since we met at Starbucks in Sea Girt, NJ keep pedaling!
    JIM

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey Jim, Good to hear from you. Yes, I've made okay time despite several days off due to bad weather. Thankfully there are Starbucks on route... kinda like an oasis for me and a chance to meet good people such as yourself. Best wishes,
      Pat

      Delete