Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 19 July 2013

Yemassee to Hardeeville, South Carolina 30 miles (48 km)



Last night I camped at the Point South KOA Kampground in Yemassee, South Carolina. The campground office, called The Swimming Mermaid also had a gourmet pizza oven, wine bar and coffee house. I enjoyed a generous glass of wine, a couple slices of spinach, black olive, onion and Italian sausage pizza while working on the blog and visiting with other campers.


Highway 17 joined Interstate 95 between Yemassee and Ridgeland, which was off limits to bicycles. I followed Frontage Road which paralleled the Interstate. It was along Frontage Road that I found the sign on the Second African Baptist Church which reminds everyone that "Jesus Loves You."

"How can you believe in that God nonsense after having had all of your education and training?" Some people would call it a fabled crutch that I lean on. Some people dismiss Christ as being simply a historical figure and divorce Him from their life. Citing all of the atrocities that have taken place by religions in name of God is another reason people stay away from a relationship with Jesus.

I've always been sensitive to the issue of belief in God. My existence predicates my belief in a creator. Call the creator God, or Universal Intelligence, or Universal Energy or whatever... I can not reject the notion of a Creator (for me 'God'). I think that as some people look at what all humankind has accomplished, belief in God becomes unnecessary. The more science and technology discovers, explains and conquers, the less connection people have to God.

The infinite vastness of the universe, including all that we as humans create, discover and conquer is enough for me to not just believe in God, but to believe in Jesus. There is perfection in the idea of God becoming man so that we might better connect with God. For me, the concept of God and all of His creation is so mind-blowing that it only makes sense that Jesus came to bridge the gap.

So, I appreciate seeing a sign that reminds me of Jesus' love for me. Obviously anyone looking at the blog posts I've done knows that I've been thinking a lot about my personal relationship with Jesus. I have walked without Jesus in my life. It was me that moved away from Him. My life has been graced by healing, protection and blessings since asking Jesus back into my life.

My photographing church signs might be catching on. My sister-in-law Kelly sent me the following photo of the church sign at Central United methodist Church in Honesdale, Pennsylvania. "You think it's hot here?" Too bad churches use damnation messages to get people to attend. Life is tough enough without having a preacher point a finger at you and say, "believe or be damned." Jesus wants us in relationship with Him - He wants us to know Him and become like Him - isn't that enough of a message?


My brother Mark sent me a photo today, that is on his friend Karina's Facebook page. LOL:


Gustavus Adolphus Lutheran Church is in New York City.


 Spanish Moss hanging from trees along Highway 17 typifies the south.


Southern Fried and BBQ Chicken is another typical sight. Mmmm, BBQ chicken for dinner tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment