Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 5 July 2013

Independence Day: Virginia Beach, Virginia to Coinjock, North Carolina 41 miles (66.4 km)


The 34 foot high, 8 1/2 ton bronze statue of Neptune on the Virginia Beach Boardwalk. Neptune was the ancient Roman mythological deity of the sea. The ancient Greeks had a similar deity named Poseidon.


The Beach Fellowship Church sign, along General Booth Boulevard (Route 615) had the a message very appropriate for my July 4th morning ride, "Freedom to Live, and to Love."


Geberal Booth Blvd became Princess Anne Road along which I spotted the Nimmo United Methodist Church sign that read, "Create your own Reality. See you on Sunday."


A bit further down on Princess Anne Road I came across one of my favourite church signs to date: "A bad attitude is like a flat tire, you cannot go anywhere until you change it." This is the sign at the Mount Zion African Methodist Episcopal Church.


The Bethel United Methodist Church reminds people passing by to "Love One Another."


Goodbye Virginia, Hello North Carolina. The sign states that North Carolina is the "Nations most military friendly state." These signs were created along the North Carolina entry points in recognition of the military's role in the North Carolina economy and the dedicated service by men and women serving in the US military. The North Carolina Banker Association funded the joint project with the North Carolina Department of Transportation.


I like the profound simplicity of the the sign in the bottom middle which was made by kids and states, "Clean our world so don't litter." Hwy 615 becomes a causeway that goes through marshland protected by the Mackay Island National Wildlife refuge.


Wow, America is 237 years old! I remember the excitement around the July 4th Bicentennial Celebration in 1976... when I was 13, soon to be 14... man, life has gone by fast when I put it in that perspective. Let's live every day to the fullest, but let's do it with God's Blessing.


"Becoming more than conquerors" was on the opposite side of the Knott's Island Baptist Church sign. I took that simple phrase as a personal affirmation.


From Knotts Island I took the 45 minute ferry ride to Currituck, North Carolina across Currituck Sound. On the other side I travelled down Highways 168 and 158 both of which had a great shoulder for cycling.


Photo taken from the Joseph P. Knapp Bridge which spans the Albemarle and Chesapeake Canal, now a part of the Atlantic Intracoastal Waterway. I rode across the bridge and then 3 miles further to a rest stop. At the rest stop I realized how much the stiff south wind and heat had taken out of me. Making it to the closest campground on the Outer Banks was beyond me. I spoke to Mark who runs the Midway Marina and Motel at Coinjock, NC, and thankfully was able to get the last room available... 3 miles and back over the bridge and another mile to the motel-marina. With this turn around and making a wrong turn along Princess Anne Road on my way out of Virginia Beach, I suppose I really cycled over 50 miles "into the furnace." :-)

2 comments:

  1. Pat, I went on my first solo ride this morning through Pungo. As I was riding solo, my memory of meeting you popped in my head and I couldn't help but wonder how your journey is going. So upon returning home, I went through every drawer until I found your card. Just reading blog now and catching up. Loved the pics from VB. Be safe in your travels. p.s. Are you flying back home or riding? Lisa M.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Lisa,
    Congrats on your first solo ride! I've just arrived in Vero Beach, Florida... beautiful beach and cool trendy little shops. To answer your question, I'm not sure how I'll be getting home. I may fly or take Amtrak north. I want to try to get all the way to Key West. I'll figure out how to get back to Canada once I'm there.
    Live, love, bike!
    Best wishes,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete