Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Sunday 21 July 2013

Thunder storms, Southwest Wind and America's Smallest Church 50.2 miles (80.7 km)


The American Flag shows the stiff southwest wind that I pedalled into this morning. "Christ will Make the Difference" is the message on the Bethel Baptist Church sign.


The people at Riceboro Church of God want you to "Come to Jesus while there is still time."


The New Church ofChrist in Unity want those passing to know that "Forgiveness is God's Gift to Us."


I had visited the Smallest Church in America during the 1986 bicycle tour. In fact, I went in and tried to talk to God about my having been assaulted in Virginia, but back then, my relationship with Him was tenuous at best.


The Non-Denominational chapel was "Built in 1949 by Mrs. Agnes Harper and Deeded to Jesus Christ." The Smallest Church in American hasn't changed much in the last 27 years. I recall Highway 17 being closer to the church than it is now. There are also numerous statues on the property that were not there back then.


Inside the Smallest Church in America. I signed the guest register and left the following message, "Jesus has blessed and protected me on my journey -  a bicycle tour from Canada to Florida. I am grateful to all the loving people I've met on route. Thank you Lord for putting them in my path and the healing journey that this has been. Blessings to all who visit this little church."


The Shorter Chapel African Methodist Episcopal Church sign told me that "For every Goliath there is a stone." The story of David and Goliath is one of faith in the face of fear and overwhelming odds. If anyone is interested in revisiting this story it can be found in 1 Samuel Chapter 17


After I decided to stop cycling south due to thunder storms, I weaved through the streets of Darien, Georgia and came across the Darien First Presbyterian Church with the sign, "Our Church is Prayer Conditioned." This church was founded in 1736 by Scottish Highlanders. The mission statement of the church reads as follows, "To be a loving and faithful community united in Christ bringing glory to God through prayer, discipleship, witness, study, nurture, fellowship and service."

1 comment:

  1. Hey Pat,
    I just finished travelling through a couple weeks worth of your cycling journey. I love your blog; it gives me the feeling that I'm riding along side of you(with the exception of saddle sores and headwind!)
    I am so proud of you Pat. You are an overcomer. I Love you bro!
    God's blessings,
    xo amy (not so anonymous. I just couldn't figure out how to post!)

    ReplyDelete