Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Thursday 11 July 2013

Jacksonville to Wilmington, North Carolina 52.4 miles (84.3 km)

Getting an early start makes a huge difference. I left Jacksonville at 7:10 am and was in Wilmington by 12:30 pm, and that included an hour stop for a $3.50 Subway sandwich lunch and a 32 oz. Gatorade.

On my way out of the Comfort Suites hotel that I stayed in, I visited with Ron, also a cyclist, who was managing the front desk. He set me up with a "Friends and Family" discount for the next hotel - an amazing rate of $39 - $50 per night - something my still sore body really appreciates. Thanks Ron!

On the way out of Jacksonville along Hwy 17, a great deal of the land is owned by the US Government and is used for military training exercises. I passed a couple of uncommon signs:


This sign reads, "Warning Warning Warning; Military Training in progress when flashing tune to AM 530; Possible dense smoke/fog on highway; Use extreme caution next 10 miles." The lights were flashing but I saw no signs of smoke/fog or military exercises.


I didn't see any tanks either.


I crossed the 4 lane divided Highway 17 to take this photo... "To walk with God we must first talk with God." Or, while on this journey, to bicycle with God, I must first talk with him... I do spend a lot of time in prayer and meditation on the bike.

 

The color of the roses in the planter of the Manhollow Missionary Baptist Church sign was so striking I took this photo.


Living in Canada I don't see the "Smokey the Bear" forest fire warning signs, but I remember seeing them during the 1986 bicycle tour. Notice the flag in the background is still at half mast out of respect for the 19 Arizona firefighters killed on Sunday June 30th while battling the widfire that had been sparked by lightening near Yarnell, Arizona.


"444" when I least expect it there's those numbers again.


This Liberty Baptist Church sign pretty much sums up this bicycle tour for me.


Rain began to pelt down just as I was approaching an under pass. The sun shower lasted less than 10 minutes.



2 comments:

  1. Pat, it looks like you are about halfway the trip? Glad you did not run into a tank today :-)

    Be good, Jos

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jos,
    Yes, I'm about half way - if I go all of the way to Key West. On my next ride I should be in South Carolina, then on to Georgia and finally Florida. Bad weather here today so I'm staying put. Hope to get an early start tomorrow.
    Best wishes,
    Pat

    ReplyDelete