Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Tuesday 9 July 2013

Morehead City to Jacksonville, North Carolina 41.3 miles (66.5 km)

There was a deluge of rain in the morning delaying my start until 11:00 am. The rain had helped to diminish the heat and humidity for the first couple hours of cycling. My body was still in recovery from the last couple days and I had a sore knee which convinced me to do a short ride. Leaving Morehead City along Highway 24, there was no shoulder and the traffic was heavy.


"To God be the glory, great things He has done." This sign was at the Bethlehem United Methodist Church just off Highway 24 which is also known as Freedom Way.


The Swansboro Church of God recommends the Bible as summer reading. I've read much of the Bible and some Books, like Psalms and Proverbs numerous times, but I've never made a concerted effort to read it cover to cover. I marvel at Edgar Cayce who read the Bible in its entirety every year of his life. If it wasn't for the safety factor of relying on traffic sounds, I could be wearing earbuds to listen to the Bible during this trip.


The Union Chapel of the A. M. E. Zion Church posted Proverbs 16:7, "Commit your works to the Lord, and your plans will be established." The publishing of my memoir regarding the 1986 bicycle tour came to mind after I read this sign.

There were separate messages on each side of the sign in front of Christ's Pure Holiness Apostolic Church:



Riding into Jacksonville, North Carolina, which is home to Camp Lejeune Marine Corps Base, brought me past numerous barber shops offering military cuts, storage units, military surplus, tattoos, used car lots and churches.

My body is still hurting... sore knee, sore ass, sun sensitive skin, fatigue... it may be time for a day off soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment