Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Saturday 20 July 2013

Hardeeville, South Carolina to Savannah, Georgia 15.8 miles (25.5 km)



Highway 17 took me into Savannah, Georgia. In the distance is the Talmadge Memorial Bridge which spans the Savannah River. I passed a sign that stated bicycles were prohibited on the bridge. Is that what the sign said? I kept pedalling and crossed the massive bridge without issue.


I met Wanda, nicknamed 'Woo' at the Old Town Trolley Tours of Savannah. She spoke to her coworker Cathy and arranged a free hop-on-hop-off trolley tour for me. Wanda's kindness matched perfectly the small badge above her name tag which stated, "Prayer Changes Things." Thank you Wanda!


My first stop was to the Perry Rubber Bike Shop, located at the corner of Perry Lane and Bull St. in the historic district of Savannah. I asked the owner of the store if this was the same store 27 years ago during the 1986 bicycle tour. The Perry Rubber Bike Shop was only 4 years old. He did know one of the two bicycle racers, Carl and J.P. that I had met back then.


Three brothers from Greece, George, Peter and Basil Leopold opened the ice cream shop in 1919. It was a popular fixture in Savannah until closing in 1969. The youngest child of Peter Leopold, Stratton and his wife Mary reopened the famous shop in 2004. I walked into the shop and was greeted by several servers shouting "Welcome to Leopold's". The coffee milk shake and toasted egg salad sandwich convinced me of the shops excellent reputation. You can learn more about this famous shop at: www.leopoldsicecream.com


Antique police car in front of the Savannah Chatham Metropolitan Police Department.


Another antique police car in front of the Savannah Chatham Metropolitan Police Department.


This custom police-taxi car displays an important message for the prevention of impaired driving. The rear of the car is a Yellow Cab taxi and states "This ride about $20". The front of the car is Savannah-Chatham Police car and states "This ride = $1,800.00+"


This is the Dunham Tabernacle Baptist Church, located on Nicoll St. The sign states, "Jesus is the rock of our salvation."


"Live Right and Glorify God" is the message on the 2nd St. Luke Missionary Baptist Church, also located on Nicoll St.


There's a variety of shops and restaurants on River St.


River St. fronts the Savannah River, a major container ship port.

The following paintings caught my eye. They displayed a simplicity and vibrancy that drew me in.




Above is the artist, Martin. He moved to Savannah 4 years ago from Haiti.


I visited with Michael, a disabled Vietnam Vet who makes flowers, hats, baskets and other designs out of palm fronds.


I introduced myself to this guy, Mike who makes wire names. I told him about my friend Hubert Marcoux who built his sailboat from the proceeds of gold wire name jewelry. I had a lump in my throat when I explained to him that Hubert was lost at sea in 2009. We shook hands after I took Mike's photo and started to walk away.
"Hey, what was your name?"
"Pat"
Mike reached to his table, grabbed a wire 'Pat' name and said, "This was waiting for you, thanks for sharing your story."
This is the second time on my trip that I have felt Hubert's presence. It feels like he is looking out for me in the spiritual realm and I'm thankful to him for that.


The palm frond flower made by Michael and the wire name made by Mike.

In 1986 when I arrived in Savannah, I met Joe Lamm at the same bicycle shop where I had met the two bicycle racers, Carl and JP. At that time Joe was the manager at The Chart House restaurant. I found The Chart House Restaurant which was now located on River St. and stopped in for an iced tea and Caesar salad. I was still in a fearful and stressed out state because of the assault in Virginia. I hadn't told Joe (or anyone for over 20 years) what happened. I think that he sensed my nervousness and went out of his way to make me fell welcomed. I've tried to located him on-line, but have not had any success.

I asked the waitress if I could speak to Michael Bailey, the current manager. Michael approached my table, which was on the patio overlooking river St. and the river. I asked him to grab a seat for a minute and then proceeded to tell him about the 1986 bicycle tour and Joe Lamm. Michael had no idea who Joe Lamm was, the restaurant had seen numerous managers over the years. Then he said, "I think that there's someone here who was around back then. Let me go ask."

A few minutes later a chef Major Davis approached the table. He has worked for the restaurant since 1985 and remember Joe. I told Major about how I met joe at the bicycle shop along with Carl and JP.
"I know Carl, everybody knows Carl."


Major Davis and me on the patio of The Chart House Restaurant.


I'm standing in Johnson square to photograph the golden domed Savannah City Hall.

Downtown Savannah has numerous public squares, each one unique and named for a famous historical figure prominent in Savannah, Georgia and U.S. history. The squares are characterized by gardens, fountains, statues memorials and beautiful trees mostly Palm, Magnolia and Live Oak trees. Spanish moss hangs in the Live Oak trees. The Live Oaks are deciduous trees but remain leafy green year round because they do not lose their leaves all at once. At one time people of Georgia used the Spanish Moss to stuff pillows and mattresses. They quickly found out that the Spanish Moss was home to a biting insect called a Chigger... apparently this is where the saying, "Don't let the bed bugs bite," originated.

6 comments:

  1. Pat I am enjoying reading some of your notes from Savannah this Sunday morning. It was good to meet you! Have a safe trip!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great meeting you as well. Thank you for the good wishes.
      Pat

      Delete
  2. Hi Pat it was nice meeting you im the young lady in Darien, Ga that check you in. Have a safe trip and may God continue to bless you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Keshia, Thanks for checking out my blog and for the message. The encouragement that I've had from people that I've met such as yourself means a lot to me. Blessings to you as well.
      Pat

      Delete
  3. Pat, nice to meet you today! Hopefully you made it through the foul weather. Excellent blog, I'm enjoying all the stories. Mine is mostly pictures (and I didn't have sweet business cards!), but if you're interested, it's http://hunterbikesacrossthecountry.blogspot.com. Good luck friend!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hunter, Great to meet you as well. I stopped in Darien and took a hotel because of a horizon filled with dark clouds and thunder... no complaints, 50 miles against that southwest wind was enough. I will be checking out your blog - bicycling from Washington state is quite a feat - congratulations man! Best wishes, Pat

      Delete