Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Thursday 25 July 2013

St. Augustine - the oldest city in the US

I started my day off in St. Augustine by walking toward the historic district. As I walked down San Marco Avenue I spotted a funky looking bike, boarding and surf shop called Island Life.


I was welcomed into the shop by Tsumugi, daughter to the shop's owner. The shop catered more to beach culture with clothing, body boards, skate and surf boards and mostly fat tired, single speed bikes. Tsumugi and I talked about my trip and she shared that she is currently studying neuroscience with aspirations of medicine and neurosurgery. Smart young lady who will no doubt succeed.

Their shop can be visited on-line at www.islandlifestaugustine.com


The Spanish settled St. Augustine way back in 1565, well before the Pilgirms landed at Plymouth Rock. Spanish influence is readily apparent in the gardens, fountains and building architecture. 




Flagler College.


I spent hours visiting three Cutter and Cutter Galleries. Above is the entrance to Loves Fine Art Gallery where I was captivated by the romantic impressionist painting of Michael and Inessa Garmash a husband and wife creative team who hail from Russian. I was drawn to one piece in particular entitled "Rare Beauty" and had the opportunity to meet and discuss it with owner Len Cutter and Simon Metz of the Gallery.

Originals are way out of my price range, but the giclee on canvas and the fayum are both possibilites. I wasn't familiar with fayum until today. They tell me that fayum is a european technique, that if I understood this correctly, actually two different artists work on the piece - one to prepare the wood board and  the other does the actual painting (original or repro) on the canvas. The back of the board is signed by the wood artist and the front of the painting is either signed or numbered by the painter. Thankfully, my brother Mark can assist me with the gallery art market.

At Galeria del Mar I visited with Patricia Bosio the fine art consultant who shared her knowledge on artist Salvador Dali and one particular piece entitled "The Christ," an etching in sepia.

Another romantic impressionist named Daniel F. Gerhartz from Kewaskum, Wisconsin had work displayed at the Brilliance in Color Fine Art Gallery. His oil on linen entitled "Perfume" was another one that drew me in. Thanks to Mary-Kate McLure who shared her knowledge about Gerhartz' work.

No comments:

Post a Comment