Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Friday 26 July 2013

St. Augustine to Daytona Beach, Florida 52.4 miles (84.3 km)

I had ridden for about 25 miles and was surprised to have not come across a church sign with a message to photograph. I had passed plenty of churches but the signs only had basic information about the names of pastors, times of service, bible study and children's programs. Almost as soon as I began thinking that it was strange to not see a sign with a message, I came across the Hammock Community Church sign in Palm Coast, Florida.


The south side of the sign read, "Your religion should be in your actions." As I rode away I was thinking that I'd would have worded it,  "Make your actions your spirituality."


"Always be kinder than you feel," was on the north side of the sign and seemed to be good words to live by.

Early on there was no wind and then I had a tailwind. Tailwinds are good because you can drop into higher gears and make some good time. I did this for most of the morning. The disadvantage of the tailwind happens in the heat when your speed forward is close to the airspeed of the wind behind you. That's when it feels like a sauna and the sweat on your skin doesn't evaporate it just sits on your skin combining with more sweat until you feel like a slimy ball of hot candle wax.

The heat became unbearable by noon and I stopped for lunch at Lagerheads Bar and Grill in Ormond By The Sea. The light blue clapboard beach bar and grill reflected the beach culture.

I was desperate just to get out of the sun and humidity. Once my bike was secure on the patio deck I walked into the coolness of AC. I sat at a table where I could see my bike and ordered an egg salad  sandwich on lightly toasted rye, potato salad and iced tea. As I sat waiting for food a wave of nausea passed through me and I felt lightheaded. Within seconds my gut was in cramps. I made my way to the bathroom... twice. Was it food poisoning, flu or too much potassium? No matter I ate and felt a bit better.

 Three iced teas and one ice water later, I walked out to the patio deck where I met John and his miniature Australian Sheep Dog 'Roosevelt' who was sitting at the table closest to where my bike was.
"Don't you just love it here man?" John said as Roosevelt came closer for a pat on the head. "I've lived here most of my life and you can't beat the lifestyle. Everyone is fit and healthy. You can't help but be fit and healthy here."

John lives and works as a handyman in the area and was at Lagerheads for lunch. At 51 years of age, he had the wiry build and bony prominences on his knees of a long time surfer. He went on to explain that when he was younger, he was a sponsored competitive pro surfer and had travelled around the world surfing. John asked me about my trip. I explained the healing journey that I was on and we talked about the importance of living authentically.

John occasionally took a french fry from his plate, broke it in half, made sure it wasn't too hot and passed it under the table to an eager Roosevelt.

"So many people just drift through life and they don't stop to think. I came from a Catholic family of nine and my Mom raised us to understand that what you put into life you'll get out, like a karma thing. She was smart and she was right, 'cause that's how I've seen life work."


After lunch I only travelled a short distance down the highway when spotted A1A Beachside Bicycle in Ormond By The Sea. Above is Ron the owner of the shop. He was in the middle of repacking the bottom bracket of the hybrid bike but took the time to visit with me. It was pretty nice to step into the AC of his shop, especially as I was still feeling the effects of whatever stomach bug I had.

I used one of his tire pumps an topped up both tires adding 20 psi in the front and 30 psi in the rear. The bike seems to feel best at about 100 psi in the front and 110-120 psi in the rear.


In Ormond Beach, the Grace Lutheran Church message was "TGIF - Today God is First." I kept thinking about John growing up surfing and how stepping into that surf must be like stepping into a relationship with God... the power, beauty and immense sea... if you connect, it has to be more sacred than any experience within the walls of a church.

I got into Daytona Beach, took a room and fell asleep with chills and dizziness. Two hours later I woke up feeling completely better.

No comments:

Post a Comment