Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Thursday 18 July 2013

Charleston to Yermassee, South Carolina 61.8 mile (99.4 km)

My rear tire felt a little soft on my way out of Charleston. It was early and I was hoping to see a air pump along the way. Within a few hundred feet of thinking I should top up the pressure in that tire I spotted a young firefighter, Brian with his fixed gear bicycle leaning up against an idling fire truck that he had pulled out of the fire house. Brian was inflating the tires of his bicycle using the fire trucks compressor. I had to do a double take as I coasted past.
Turning around I rode up behind Brian, "Hey man." He didn't hear me over the noise of the compressor and idling fire truck engine. I rolled a bit closer.
"Hey man, can you help me out? I need some air too."
He looked around and then spotted me.
"Wow, that's good timing."
Brian quickly placed the adapter on my presta valves and inflated both tires. I introduced myself, gave him a card with the blog address and talked about bicycling a bit.


Having my bicycle tires inflated by a fire truck was a first!


"With God all things are possible," was on the sign of the Bethel African Methodist Episcopal Church along Highway 17 in Ravenel, South Carolina.


I was befriended by Anthony (left) and Sydney "Just like the city in Australia" (right) when I stopped for gatorade at a gas station in Jacksonboro. Anthony mentioned that the area had a rich black history and that Jacksonboro was the original capital of South Carolina, for about 1 week before being established in Columbia. I mentioned that Halifax, Nova Scotia was also important in black history, being a major destination for the Underground Railroad.
"I actually go to a black church near Halifax called, Emmanuel Baptist Church."
They both smiled. "Our church is Emmanuel Missionary Baptist Church. It's right over there." Anthony pointed to across Highway 17.
I gave them both cards with the blog address and told them to look for their photo.

Before I left they told me that I'd be heading toward heavy traffic due to construction, but Highway 17 actually has a big shoulder beyond Jacksonboro. The construction that they spoke of stretched for many miles and the shoulder was wide and relaxing most of the way. Highway 17 was being twinned and thankfully shoulder was a part of the plans.

A lot of people ask me what it is like to ride next to traffic. I thought I'd share a bit of the experience with a video clip from my iPhone which is mounted on my handlebars. FYI, the section of road that I was on had a 4 foot shoulder. Enjoy LOL...


I had only 8 miles to go, but my energy was gone.


There was nothing but wilderness for many miles so I was pretty happy to see the Carolina Cherry Company Store...


The store was quaint and I'd like to visit again to pick up some cherry jam, cherry pie, cherry cider...


The Black Bing Cherry Cider was delicious and refreshed me for the last 8 miles.


The tips of both of my cycling shoes are now duct taped... we'll see if they make it to the end of the tour.


Get hit by this car and you'll be meeting your Maker in more ways than one...
An elderly couple got out of this vehicle outside of McDonalds along Highway 17 in Yemassee.
I said, "I like your licence plate."
The old guy responded, "Its all about Him."
"Amen to that man," and I snapped the photo.

No comments:

Post a Comment