Reason for this Bicycle Tour

On June 10, 2013 I set out from my brother and sister-in-laws home in Brantford, Ontario on a solo bicycle tour to Florida. Life has seemingly come full circle. This tour is a healing journey... mentally, physically and spiritually.

In 1986, at the age of 24, I had taken a term off my university study and bicycle toured from St. Thomas, Ontario to Fort Lauderdale, Florida. The 1986 tour was a significant turning point in my life and included my being severely assaulted by clergy, something that I repressed for over 20 years. Despite the assault I made decision to answer my life's calling to be a healer and educator - a chiropractor.

After over twenty years of repressing the "crisis" event during that tour, writing a memoir was an initial act of growth and healing. In the end, the memoir offers the reader profound insight into the healing journey. The memoir can be found Amazon, International Health Publishing.

Physically, I am recovering from a severe shoulder injury and subsequent disability. The injury led to the sale of my chiropractic practice in Halifax, Nova Scotia in September of 2012.

Thanks for looking in on my journey. Sincerely, Dr. Pat

Wednesday 24 July 2013

Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Florida to St. Augustine, Florida 66.2 miles (107 km)


Sunrise at Fernandina Beach, Amelia Island, Florida. I rode over 8 miles on Amelia Island before I set off on the 66 mile trek to St. Augustine.

I followed Highway A1A south to the bridge across Nassau Sound and onto the lush tropical Little Talbot Island State Park. It was along this road through Talbot Island that I spotted another bicycle tourist heading north toward me. I pulled over to his side of the road. Thirty year old Fred Jones left Texas, travelled east, dipped south into part of Florida and now was heading north to New York. It was great to visit with another bicycle tourist. I handed Fred one of my newly printed cards with the blog site and email addresses. Fred had left St. Augustine this morning and I was headed to St. Augustine. We shared information about the route we had just been on. I passed on Terry's name and number, but Fred was already planning to avoid the bridge out along Highway 17 between Georgia and Florida. He said that google maps alerted him to the bridge being out. I also told him about the shuttle service across the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel and the ferry from Sandy Hook to Manhattan that I had used. We shook hands wished each other well and travelled in our opposite directions. Fred said he envied me cycling south in Florida. I envied the southwest tailwind that he had travelling north.

Fred's blog can be found at www.derfinusa.com


On the ferry which took me across the St. Johns River to Wayport.


A1A had a great dedicated bicycle lane for most of my day. Here a long stretch of land to the west of the road had been burned by fire.

Two groups of cyclists out for training runs came up on me during my last 22 mile stint of the day. "On your left," the lead cyclist yells alerting me to their presence. I was desperate to draft behind some cyclists.The three guys went humming by and I picked up my cadence for a stretch in hopes of catching up to them and drafting. Not a chance - I strained hard with the weight of my bike and gear and they were still pulling further away.

Day off tomorrow... laundry, rest my sore legs and ass, and visit historic St. Augustine.

No comments:

Post a Comment